Saturday, March 19, 2016

His Sport (Basketball)...

As a little boy, living in the country, we didn’t know much about basketball…instead, we played hardball (baseball). When we moved to the city when I was in the 6th grade, I played on a softball team. I thought I was really good until I saw boys who played better than me. Then I got to junior high school and got introduced to playing basketball. I enjoyed playing it, and when I got in the 10th grade, I was playing basketball in gym, and my gym teacher (Coach Elder) came up to me and said, “Henry, would you like to be on the basketball team?” I said, “Coach, I don’t know nothing ‘bout no basketball.” He said, “I’ll teach you.” 

During spring practice, I attended the practices where he started teaching me how to play basketball. I watched the older guys play and thought, “I can’t play like that.” But all of the seniors were leaving and they needed new members to try out. So at the end of the season, and these “practice tryouts,” there was a list posted of those who had made the team. And though I thought a lot of the other guys were better players than I, I looked on that list, and there was my name. But that was just the first elimination. The second elimination was that if your name WAS on the list, you were eliminated. So I was looking at the next list, fearful that my name was on that list. My name was not on that list. And so I was officially on the team. We started the practices. But we initially didn’t start out playing basketball. We did a lot of drills…drills as if we were running track. We ran up and down the court and up and down the bleachers, continuously. Then one day, Coach put some narrow rims on top of the goals, and we had to try and shoot the ball through the narrow holes. Then we did a drill called “fast break” where three guys run down the court passing the ball without the ball ever touching the floor. You had to run fast enough so that when you caught and passed it, you would not be making a “traveling” violation. After those drills, we scrimmaged against 12th graders who were graduating. Then after that, during the summer, every Thursday, we met at an elementary school and would play basketball. Here, we were still learning the skills of basketball. 

So now, I’m in the 11th grade and had to try out again. I was scared again, but made the team. Not only did I make the team, but I was put on first string, which consisted of the first 8 boys on the team who would be called to play (5 starters and 3 backup players). I was one of the backup forwards. One of the first games I played in (we played a school called St. Bartholomew), I was shooting so well, but constantly praying that they wouldn’t throw the ball to me. But they kept throwing the ball to me, and I kept hitting! We won that game. I remember our principal asked the coach, “Coach, where did you get this boy from?” We continued through the season with me substitute playing. We didn’t win a championship or anything, but we had a good team. Then my senior year came, and I had to try out for the team again!!! And I made it again…and was made part of the first 5. We began to play and win. I got a little cocky and wanted them to throw it to me! I could shoot well, but I never could dunk the ball. I had one really good game (against a school in Pine Bluff) where I knocked down 30 points! My name was in the newspaper: “Robinson leads the Bearcats!” 

I hurt my ankle later on in my 12th grade year and was taken off the first string so I had to stop playing with first string. I played with the 2nd string team. I played in small consolation games. Finally, my ankle healed.  From that time on, “I was a running Bearcat.” I was back at it. We went to the state championship game and lost to a team from Strong, AR. The season ended and while I didn’t get a scholarship, I got offers to tryout at a few junior colleges (one in Texas). But my mom would not let me go. I ended up going to college at UALR. I was playing basketball in their gym and one of the coaches saw me and asked me about my basketball skills. I told him that I had played for Horace Mann. He asked me to come out and play for their team (Little Rock University). I went to spring training, but was not able to play because I was drafted to the military. I played a little basketball in the military with guys who had played all over the United States. 

When I got out of the army, several asked me to try out for UALR’s basketball team, but I declined. But I did play City League basketball. We played against a lot of guys who finished playing college basketball, but did not go on to play professional basketball. That is how I met one of my wife’s brothers. We beat his team really bad….


When I married my wife, my wife’s brothers underestimated my basketball skills. But I showed them on the court that I was a good basketball player. They were wowed. I also played for the church basketball team when my children were younger…

No comments:

Post a Comment